31-year-old Brandon Huntley from Cape Town said he was constantly called a “white dog” and “settler” by Black South Africans back home. He was also robbed 7 times and stabbed three times by Black South Africans since his home country ended Apartheid in 1994.
“There’s a hatred of what we did to them and it’s all about the color of your skin,” Huntley told the Canadian Immigration and Refugee Board.
The evidence Huntley provided showed “a picture of indifference and inability or unwillingness of the South African government to protect White South Africans from persecution by African South Africans,” Board Chairman William Davis said. “I find the claimant would stand out like a sore thumb due to his color in any part of the country.”
Huntley’s lawyer, Russell Kaplan, believes this is the first time a White person has been granted refugee status due to racial persecution.
In addition to Huntley’s testimony, the board heard from Kaplan’s sister, Laura Kaplan, 41, who left her native South Africa for Canada last year.
She testified that she had been threatened by armed black South Africans and said her brother Robert was left for dead after being shot three times and tortured during a violent burglary in 1997.
Both Laura and Huntley gave evidence in camera in a full-day hearing on August 18, presenting 30 – 40 newspaper clippings as evidence of life in South Africa. “‘One article exhibited was published in (the Daily Sun in 2004) by Africa Ka Mahamba. (It was) entitled ‘Taking from whites is not a crime’,’” Kaplan said. The article quotes the leader of the ‘Uhuru Cultural Club’ as telling youngsters who attended a Human Rights Day celebration to steal from Whites because “it is the right thing to do.”
“The judgment was a direct criticism of the SA Government,” Kaplan said. He said Affirmative Action and Black Economic Empowerment were two of the aspects that were taken into account in considering Huntley’s application for refugee status in Canada. “These legislated policies, even though there is an explanation for them, are discriminatory.”
South Africa Home Affairs spokesperson Ronnie Mamoepa angrily responded to the decision, saying he was “disgusted” at the ruling.
Mamoepa said the department had heard about the “baseless allegations against our people and our country”.
“It would have been courteous for the Canadian government to allow the South African government to respond to the allegations,” Mamoepa said.
More than 3,000 White South African farmers and farm workers have been murdered in Plaasmorde attacks, the characteristic home invasions and murders perpetuated by Blacks against Whites, since the so-called “turn over” in 1994. Thousands more have been killed by Blacks since 1994, yet the ANC government will not release official statistics.
- The Right Perspective