Johannesburg – The battery of an Apple iPhone 8 Plus was reported to have ‘exploded’ while charging, causing the screen to bulge out of its body.

The recently launched smartphone from the US giant was reported to have experienced the swollen battery issue by a user in Taiwan on the third day of owning the device.

According to Apple blog 9to5Mac, the owner claimed that her 64GB Gold iPhone 8 Plus had split three minutes into being charged with the cable and plug adapter supplied with the device.

In a separate incident, another iPhone 8 user from Japan reportedly received their device with the screen already bulging out.

An Apple spokesperson confirmed to another Apple blog, MacRumors, that the company is investigating the issues plaguing the devices.

Last month, Apple announced its iPhone 8 and 8 Plus flagship devices alongside the 10-year anniversary iPhone X.

The iPhone 8 and 8 Plus promised to have the highest video capability in a smartphone, according to Apple. It said the iPhone 8 would retail from $699 and the 8 Plus from $799.

The iPhone X – pronounced “iPhone 10” – features Super Retina Display on its almost borderless screen.

Last year, Samsung’s phablet smartphone, the Note7, became the world’s most controversial smartphone after numerous devices were reported to have exploded around the world. This led to it being banned on board several airlines globally, including South African Airways.

The Note7 issue stemmed from a design flaw in the device, and according to the company it implemented a 7-point safety check to ensure that no Samsung device ever explodes again.