ONE of the residents of the building that caught fire in the Joburg CBD this morning says they’ll continue living there.

Speaking to Daily Sun, Rashida Ditriech (25) also alleged that fire was started by a generator that must have malfunctioned and blown up.

“The generator was in use because in this building, we don’t have electricity,” she said.

She said when she was told that there was a fire, she immediately got out of the building and as made her way to safety, she noticed the smoke forming a dark cloud around the building.

When asked where will she go as the building they called home was burnt, Rashida said without hesitating that “We’ll continue living here.”

This is because she and over 100 other people who occupy that building don’t have nowhere to go. Joburg EMS spokeswoman, Nana Radebe confirmed that seven people had died as a result of the fire.

“Over 50 people were rescued and seven were taken to hospital.”

Nana also confirmed that the fire started on the second floor, but said they still have to investigate to establish what might have been the cause of the fire.

Joburg Mayor, Herman Mashaba was also at the scene.

He said he needed to permission to reclaim the buildings, and to work with the private sector to build low cost housing for the people. – Daily Sun