SOUTH AFRICA: Gauteng Hawks boss Major-General Shadrack Sibiya has officially been given his marching orders after he was recently found guilty of playing a part in the rendition of Zimbabweans.
On Saturday, Hawks spokesman Brigadier Hangwane Mulaudzi confirmed that Sibiya had been dismissed. He warned that if any members of the Hawks were found to be involved in criminal activities they would be dismissed.
The decision comes after an internal disciplinary hearing found Sibiya guilty of playing a part in the illegal rendition of Zimbabweans and recommended that he be fired.
Presiding officer Mxolisi Zondo found that Sibiya, in his capacity as Hawks boss, had failed to prevent the rendition of the Zimbabweans.
Mulaudzi said Hawks acting head Berning Ntlemeza had approved the decision by Zondo to fire Sibiya on August 31.
Sibiya has 21 days to appeal against the decision.
Between November 2010 and January 2011, several Zimbabweans were allegedly kidnapped by members of the Hawks and unlawfully handed over to Zimbabwean police at the Beit Bridge border post.
The men were said to be wanted in connection with the murder of a top Zimbabwean cop.
According to the Hawks disciplinary charge sheet, Sibiya, former Hawks boss Anwa Dramat and Lieutenant-Colonel Leslie “Cowboy” Maluleke are alleged to have authorised the entry of Zimbabwean police into South Africa without following proper channels, and to have allowed them to assault suspects.
It also said Maluleke, Sibiya and Dramat visited Zimbabwe with the sole purpose of discussing with their counterparts in Zimbabwe how the Hawks could assist that country’s authorities with the illegal rendition of Zimbabweans alleged to be fugitives from justice and hiding in South Africa.
Witness Ndeya, Shepherd Tshuma, Nelson Ndlovu and Maqhawe Sibanda were allegedly kidnapped by the Hawks and detained at the Orlando police station in Soweto in November 2010. Ndeya later died of gunshot wounds in Zimbabwe.
In another incident, Pritchard Tshuma, John Nyoni and Gordon Dube were also allegedly kidnapped and handed over.
Tshuma disappeared, while Nyoni and Dube were allegedly killed by police in Zimbabwe.
Dramat was offered a R3 million golden handshake to leave his post while he was suspended and after the Helen Suzman Foundation successfully challenged his suspension in the high court. Instead of returning to work, Dramat came to an agreement with Police Minister Nathi Nhleko and took special leave while his lawyers negotiated a settlement.
Sibiya is the first high-ranking officer to be fired over the scandal.
Maluleke and several Hawks members face disciplinary hearings.